General Education Petitions
If you took a UNC-Chapel Hill course that did not fulfill a specific General Education requirement, but you think it meets the criteria for that requirement, you may be eligible to submit a General Education course petition to the Office of Undergraduate Curricula. Requests for the following Foundations requirements cannot be reviewed through the course petition process: English composition and rhetoric (CR), foreign language (FL), and lifetime fitness (LFIT).
The following students can submit course petitions
- transfer students who may be behind in satisfying General Education requirements
- seniors who may not have time to take the appropriate course before graduation
All other students are expected to plan ahead and complete the General Education Curriculum by taking courses that already fulfill General Education requirements.
Course petitions will only be accepted for UNC-Chapel Hill courses
- The General Education course petition process is not appropriate for transfer credits. Students can submit a Transfer Credit Re-evaluation eForm in ConnectCarolina to have their transfer credit re-evaluated for General Education requirements. Students can find more information about that form on the Undergraduate Admissions website. If you have questions about transfer credit counting toward your major or minor, please discuss this with the director of undergraduate studies in your major or minor department.
- Requests to fulfill General Education requirements through By Examination (BE) credit (which includes, but is not limited to, credit by College Board advanced placement, international baccalaureate, SAT subject examinations, or credit by departmental examination), or work and life experiences that do not carry academic credit, cannot be reviewed through the General Education course petition process.
- The General Education course petition process is not appropriate for UNC study abroad courses with the exception of some Kenan Flagler Business School-led experiences. If students have questions about these courses, they should contact the Study Abroad Office prior to submitting a petition.
Course petitions will only be accepted for UNC-Chapel Hill courses that have already been taken or are currently in progress
For courses that have already been completed with a passing grade
- Seniors and transfer students may submit anytime
For courses that have not been completed (in progress)
- Seniors may submit a petition for a course they are currently enrolled in no earlier than the first day of classes for that course.
- Transfer students who are not seniors may submit a petition for a course they are currently enrolled in after the 8th week drop deadline (or equivalent deadline during summer terms) for that course.
Course petition process
- Students should personally complete and submit the General Education course petition form.
- Upon receipt of the course petition, the Office of Undergraduate Curricula will review it
- The Office of Undergraduate Curricula will send the student a decision by email within 15 working days. If the course is approved to fulfill the General Education requirement, the Office of Undergraduate Curricula will also make an adjustment to the student’s TarHeel Tracker.