Skip to main content

Undergraduate students can earn credit for an internship in two ways:

  1. Through an academic unit at Carolina. If you wish to fulfill a General Education requirement by completing an internship (e.g., Experiential Education, High-Impact Experience), you must register for a course offered by an academic unit at Carolina. Many academic departments and curricula offer internship courses, usually for their majors. If you are interested in this option, plan ahead by checking with the relevant unit about available opportunities, deadlines, and the academic requirements for holding an internship. See the University Catalog for a list of academic units offering internship credit.
  2. Through Office of Undergraduate Curricula. If you have been offered an internship and your company is requiring you to earn credit to participate in the internship, you may be eligible for SPCL 493. Note that the preferred method for students to receive credit for internship experiences is via their major department, since SPCL 493 is a one-credit, pass/fail course that does not count toward any general education or hours-related graduation requirements. For instructions and deadlines for submitting a SPCL 493 application, which must be done before beginning the internship, please see the SPCL493 application form below.

SPCL 493 Application Form

Students completing SPCL 493 will earn one pass/fail credit. Note that due to GPA requirements, incoming first-year students are not eligible to apply. Incoming transfer students are eligible to apply.

NOTE: SPCL 493 does not count toward any graduation requirement (Gen Ed or otherwise).


  • Summer internships: All required steps must be completed by the first day of the internship, or July 1 for summer internships, whichever comes first. Summer internships receive credit in the fall term.
  • Fall and spring internships: All required steps must be completed by the first day of the internship, or the 4th Friday of the semester for fall/spring internships, whichever comes first.

To be eligible to register for SPCL 493, you must: 

  • Have a 2.0 cumulative GPA
  • Have already been offered an internship
  • Be required by the company to earn credit
  • Confirm it is not possible to earn credit via your major department
  • Submit your complete SPCL493 application form and any additional materials by the proper deadline
  • If the internship program is outside the U.S., students must also complete the Independent Undergraduate Education Abroad Activity (IUEAA) request form, available on the UNC Study Abroad website. SPCL 493 applications for programs outside the U.S. will not be processed without the approval of the IUEAA form.

You are required to write a learning objectives statement (approximately 1 page in length) and upload it to the application form below. A guide to writing your learning objectives statement is available here.