Online Syllabus Management (OSM) System
University policy requires departments to collect syllabi for all undergraduate and most graduate level courses every semester and archive them for at least four (4) years. To help with this process, the Online Syllabus Management (OSM) web application was launched in 2016. All academic units within the College of Arts and Sciences use the OSM application to manage and archive course syllabi. Professional school instructors should contact their school or program registrar for information about syllabi collection.
Instructions and Access
To access OSM, please log into https://osm.oasis.unc.edu with your ONYEN and password.
All faculty members, including graduate student instructors, have access to upload a syllabus for courses where they are listed as the primary instructor in ConnectCarolina. For assistance uploading a copy of your syllabus, please refer to the primary instructor help guide.
All department managers have been given the OSM Manager Role, which allows a user to upload and download syllabi for all courses owned by their unit. Managers are able to assign this role to other employees in their unit via the Common Authorization Tool (CAT), using the employee’s PID and ONYEN. For assistance with granting a new staff member system access, please submit an OASIS help ticket.
Beginning in fall 2021 OSM will open two weeks prior to current student registration for each semester, and close two weeks prior to LDOC (summer terms) or four weeks after FDOC (spring and fall terms). Department users are encouraged to download a copy of the OSM schedule for future reference.
OSM includes all undergraduate courses (numbered below 700) in the College of Arts and Sciences, with the following exclusions:
- All course sections with ISP and YAP subject codes.
- Internships and practica with catalog numbers ending with *93
- Research courses with catalog numbers ending with *95
- Independent study/readings undergraduate courses with catalog numbers ending with *96
- Senior honors thesis courses (691H, 692H, 693H, 694H)
- Lecture sections: Summer Bridge, SPCL (sections 300 – 399)
- Recitation sections (sections 600 – 850)
- Self-paced courses through the Friday Center (sections 851 – 860)
- Inter-institutional courses (sections 900 – 950)
- Clerkships, fieldwork (sections 975 – 989)
- Class sections 991, 992, 993, 995
OSM includes all graduate courses (numbered 700 and above) in the College of Arts and Sciences, with the following exclusions:
- Special topics courses with catalog numbers ending with *90 and catalog numbers 890-899
- Masters theses, Masters thesis substitute projects, and doctoral dissertations with catalog numbers 992,993, and 994
- University Registrar reserved courses with catalog numbers 995-999
The Office of Undergraduate Curricula will contact OSM managers (any faculty or staff who have been assigned this role in the system) with notices about open/close dates, reminders, and other useful information. Departments are responsible for reminding their instructors to upload course syllabi by the appropriate deadline. The Office of Undergraduate Curricula may reach out directly to instructors who fail to upload a copy of their course syllabus by the second week of classes.
For frequently asked user questions, please see below. If you have questions about any class section, or would like to request help using the application, please contact Genevieve Cecil in the Office of Undergraduate Curricula, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions