Creating a First-Year Launch
A First Year Launch (FY-Launch) course provides an introduction to a discipline or field of study that directly relates to a major offered at UNC-Chapel Hill. Effective fall 2022, FY-Launch will be a First-Year Foundations component in the IDEAs in Action Curriculum. All incoming fall 2022 first-year students will be required to complete either an FY-Launch or First-Year Seminar (FY-Seminar) in the first year of their undergraduate career.
- FY-Launch must be taken for credit and for a grade (for a minimum of three credits).
- FY-Launch enrollment capped at 35 students.
- FY-Launch must fulfill a requirement in a major (e.g., gateway, core requirement, or elective requirement) and may fulfill a Focus Capacity.
- FY-Launch are introductory-level courses, and they are structured for first-year students with no prior college experience. FY-Launch are not open to transfer students or students who have already completed their first year at UNC-Chapel Hill.
- FY-Launch are taught by full-time faculty members.
- FY-Launch build students’ communication skills.
- Connect with a faculty member early in the educational process.
- Learn intensively among a small cohort of students.
- Apply methods for how scholars pose problems, discover solutions, resolve controversies, and evaluate knowledge.
- Analyze and communicate issues associated with a broad, introductory topic covering a wide range of knowledge.
General Education Curriculum Implementation
|Curriculum||Year/Term||General Education Requirements|
|IDEAs in Action||Beginning Fall 2022||FY-Launch fulfills the FY-Seminar/FY-Launch requirement; may fulfill a Focus Capacity.|
Instructions for Submitting a Course
Departments with FY-Launch minimums may submit requests to add the FY-Launch designation to any introductory course with no prerequisites that fulfills a requirement in their major (e.g., gateway, core requirement, or elective requirement) through the Curriculum Inventory Manager (CIM Courses).
- Log into ConnectCarolina
- Navigate to “Student Administration” and then “My Schedule” in your Faculty Portal.
- Click on the link “CIM Propose or Revise a Course”
- Search for the course to which you would like to add the FY-Launch designation and select “Edit Course”
- Scroll down to “Curriculum Requirements” and check “IDEAs in Action Gen Ed Curriculum” box
- Select “First-Year Launch” checkbox, check all learning outcome boxes and use the “Justification Statement” section to describe how the course will meet the four FY-Launch learning objectives
- Attach an FY-Launch syllabus that addresses the learning outcomes. Make sure there is clear alignment between the Student Learning Outcomes and the course assignments/activities/readings
- Click on the “Start Workflow” button at the bottom of the CIM form
- Go to the Curriculum Inventory Management page, scroll down to “Login Information/Staff”, select “CIM Courses”, and log in with ONYEN and password
- Complete steps 4-8 above
Scheduling FY-Launch Class Sections in ConnectCarolina
Once the FY-Launch designation is approved in CIM, the department will have the option to offer the course as a standard offering or an FY-Launch. The FY-Launch will share the subject code and catalog number of the regular course, but when an FY-Launch class is scheduled, the department will use a section number range that is specific to FY-Launch offerings only. The section number range for FY-Launch is 01F – 99F. Please note: departments with minimums do not need to schedule FY-Launch sections until AY 2022-23.
Additional Resources for Course Development
- For support in incorporating student-centered active learning strategies, contact the Center for Faculty Excellence or Kelly Hogan, Associate Dean for Instructional Innovation: email@example.com.
- The Center for Faculty Excellence’s Course Design Institute is a structured sequence of workshops, activities, and working sessions held over a 3-day period (12 contact-hours overall) where a small cohort of instructors—generally between six and fourteen colleagues—use the “backward design” approach to develop their upcoming courses.
- Questions about FY-Launch development: Associate Dean for First Year Curricula, Li-ling Hsiao (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Questions about FY-Launch submissions, scheduling, and registration: First Year Curriculum Specialist, Ben Haven (email@example.com)
- Questions about FY-Launch minimums: Li-ling Hsiao or Ben Haven