Course Submission Process
Effective August 2018, the University uses the Curriculum Inventory Management (CIM) system to submit, review, approve, and process all course requests. This includes new courses, changes to existing/active courses, and requests to delete courses from the active inventory.
All UNC faculty have access to submit course proposals in CIM through the Faculty Portal in ConnectCarolina. Administrative staff have access to CIM using this link.
The syllabus for a new course must provide specific information. See Syllabus Guidelines for additional information and examples.
For more information, including a Quick Guide to CIM, please see the Office of the University Registrar’s Web site.
All materials for undergraduate course proposals (numbered 50 – 699) must be submitted in CIM by October 15 to be approved, effective with the following fall semester (to align with the beginning of the academic year), and included in the next Undergraduate Catalog. Proposals submitted after October 15 will be reviewed during the current academic year if time permits, but may not be added to the course catalog for the following academic year. For deadlines specific to fall 2020 and the implementation of the IDEAs in Action General Education Curriculum please see the below table.
The Course Committee generally meets three (3) times in the fall semester and three (3) times in the spring semester to review all undergraduate course proposals submitted by October 15.
There are two exceptions to the October 15 deadline:
- New course proposals for the spring and summer semester of the current academic year must be submitted earlier. Contact the Curriculum Analyst for specific deadlines.
IDEAs in Action Course Deadlines
|Date||Proposal Type||Review Period||Effective Date/Notes|
|12/1/2020||IDEAs in Action course proposals - Phase 3||January 2021 - May 2021||Effective Fall 2021
Approved changes will be reflected in ConnectCarolina with a Fall 2021 effective date, but the Gen Ed attributes will not display for students until Fall 2022.
|10/15/2021||IDEAs in Action course proposals - Phase 4||October 2021 - May 2022||Effective Fall 2022.|
Requests to add IDEAs in Action General Education attributes can be submitted using the CIM Course form, available here. For a quick guide to selecting IDEAs Gen Eds. on the CIM Course form, please visit the Registrar’s website and scroll down to the section labeled “Guide to Using CIM.”
The following course proposals are reviewed by the Administrative Boards of the General College and College of Arts and Sciences and its Course Committee:
- All undergraduate courses requesting a General Education requirement (including courses from Professional Schools at the University)
- All undergraduate courses in the College of Arts and Sciences (numbered 50 – 699)
For Professional School courses not seeking a General Education attribute, the Office of Undergraduate Curricula reviews courses numbered 50-699 and the Graduate School reviews courses numbered 400-699.
Please read guidelines below before you submit a new or revised course proposal:
- Courses that are revised or deleted/inactivated must have a fall effective date (not spring) to align with the beginning of the academic year.
- A syllabus must be provided for the following requests. Please see Syllabus Guidelines for additional information including sample syllabi from the three divisions within the College.
- New courses
- Revision requests to change or add General Education requirements on a course
- Requests to change the number of credit hours
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill adheres to the Carnegie unit for contact time (750 minutes for each credit awarded). For additional information, see UPM #29 Definition of a Credit Hour.