College Course Evaluations For Coordinators & Chairs
Course Selection opens Wednesday, September 6, 2017.
Course Selection closes Wednesday, September 20, 2017.
Instructor Question Personalization opens Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 8:00am.
Instructor Question Personalization close Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 11:59pm.
Select Laboratory Section Course Evaluations open on Thursday, November 9, 2017.
All Course Evaluations open on Thursday, November 16, 2017.
Course Evaluations close at 11:59pm on Wednesday, December 6, 2017.
Course Evaluation response rates will be available to Instructors through their Blue dashboard during the entire open evaluation period.
Course Evaluation reports will not be released to instructors or departments until after the final due date for grades to be turned in for the semester. Reports are usually delivered 1-2 weeks after the last final exam is held. Maymester reports are delivered with Summer I reports after the Summer I exams have completed.
Beginning in Spring 2017, selection will be made through the Blue Course Evaluation System.
See Important Dates, above, for specific opening and closing dates.
Logging into the Blue Course Evaluation System is done using your ONYEN credentials. If you are involved in your departments course selection and your ONYEN is rejected, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistant.
Please be sure to verify that you have access to all the courses that your department administers. If you need access to a course not currently available to you, please use the above address to let us know know so we can update your access. Also, please ensure that all selected courses have complete and correct instructor information, especially email addresses. Courses without an instructor or email address may not be evaluated.
The course information in the new system pulls in the following ConnectCarolina instructor roles associated with each course: primary instructor, secondary instructor, and TA. Please be sure that you have removed any instructor you do not wish to have evaluated and added any instructors not currently listed. All instructor specific questions on the evaluation will automatically be asked once per instructor listed on the course.
Below are some guidelines for selection.
- If you are the non-sponsoring unit of a cross-list, you will not see your sections of the cross-listed course in the selection application. It is the responsibility of the sponsoring unit to select the course for evaluation. Once the sponsoring unit selects the course, all sections of the cross-list will be evaluated.
- Courses with enrollment under 4 students (Independent study courses, research courses, and internships, i.e. courses numbered *93, *95, and *96, Graduate theses and dissertations) should be selected with caution. Please be aware that reports for courses with fewer than 4 students will be released to the department chair initially, and they can release these reports to the instructor at their discretion. We ask you to keep in mind the need for student anonymity when releasing these reports.
- If you have combined sections (for example an honors section attached to a standard section, or multiple levels of a course sequence meeting in one room) some sections may be missed due to low enrollment. If these section have been combined by the registrar’s office and have a combined section ID, the report will automatically be combined in the Blue Course Evaluation System. If you have question about any combined sections, please email Heather Thompson as soon as possible during the selection window so that the course will be evaluated correctly.
- First Year Seminar courses (those numbered 050 to 089) will automatically be selected for evaluation each semester regardless of what selection you make. These courses will be visible to you during selection, but even if you select “Do Not Evaluate” they will still receive an evaluation using the customized FYS instrument. We encourage you not to adjust information on these courses.
This is an example of the semester’s schedule based on a typical Fall/Spring semester timeline.
- Census Date – Week 3
- Course Selections open – The week of or after Census Date
- Course Selections close – 2-3 weeks after course selections opened
- Course Evaluations open – Last 14 scheduled class days (Last 21 scheduled class days for select lab sections)
- Course Evaluation reports released – 1-2 weeks after last exam
The Blue Course Evaluation system was used to evaluate all College courses beginning in Spring 2017. It was also used for four pilot departments in Fall 2016 (Art, Economics, Mathematics, and German and Slavic Languages and Literatures). All evaluations in the Blue Course Evaluation System will remain available to instructors and department administrators for both web viewing and PDF download. If you are a department administrator and do not have access to a specific course evaluation report, please contact email@example.com with the course subject, number, section, and semester (for an individual report) or the semester (if you do not have access to any from that term) so we can update your access.
Course Evaluations for the College were managed through Class Climate from Fall 2014 until Fall 2016. If you need a copy of your course evaluation report for any course taught between Fall 2014 and Fall 2016, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the instructor’s first and last name, the course subject, number, and section, and what semester it was taught. A PDF copy of the evaluation report will then be emailed to you.
Digital Measures, the system used prior to Class Climate, was implemented for departments starting in 2009 (implementation dates vary) and ran through Summer 2014. The Digital Measures site was taken down in early Spring 2015, and unfortunately, course evaluation coordinators no longer have access to the dashboard to pull reports for course evaluations prior to Fall 2014. The Office of Institutional Research and Assessment (OIRA) still has the raw data, and may be able to give you a file with your course data. Please reach out to Garrett Hirth in OIRA for further assistance.
Course evaluations can be accessed via ConnectCarolina, by students.
The Blue Course Evaluation System link can be found under SelfService on the left when you login. This will take you to your Blue Dashboard which will display all available course evaluations from across the university.
Course evaluations can be accessed via Sakai by students(if you login with your onyen).
Students will see a “Course Evals” option on the left-hand menu in Sakai. Clicking on that option will show their course evaluations within the Sakai environment.
Course evaluation reports, question personalization, and response rates can be accessed via ConnectCarolina by staff, faculty, and TAs listed as instructors.
The Blue Course Evaluation System link can be found under the Student Administration menu on the left when you login. This will take you to your Blue Dashboard which will display any open tasks (question personalization, response rate viewing) and any available reports (present and past).
All campus users can also access the Blue Course Evaluation System directly using your onyen and password to log in at this url: https://blueeval.unc.edu/Blue/.
To support our goal of improving instruction through course evaluations, we encourage departments to develop a questionnaire that is customized to their needs. A guide to current questionnaires in use, and PDF copies can be found here.
Please contact Heather Thompson for further details on the customization process, required and recommended questions, and any other questions.
Current deadlines for questionnaire customization are September 1 for implementation in a fall semester and February 1 for implementation in a spring semester.
The College assisted in the pilot program for a new software to manage course evaluations, eXplorance Blue. Four departments participated in the pilot:
Art (Subject Codes: ARTH, ARTS)
Economics (Subject Code: ECON)
German and Slavic Languages and Literatures (Subject Codes: CZCH, DTCH, GERM, GSLL, HUNG, PLSH, RUSS, SECR, SLAV)
Mathematics (Subject Code: MATH)
Coordinators, chairs, and chair designees will have access to an administrative dashboard in eXplorance Blue where they will be able to view reports for their courses.
Instructors who participated in the pilot will also have access to a dashboard in eXplorance Blue where they will be able to view their reports at any time.